Our intimate knowledge of the permitting process breeds efficiency.

There is no doubt to the uninitiated that the environmental permitting process is a confusing morass of forms.  However, they are there to protect the environment and in particular, water quality.  We can navigate you through the steps necessary to make your project come to fruition.  The basic permits can be categorized as follows:

Clean Water Act (CWA) Section 404

  • Nationwide – for general activities resulting in minimal impacts to aquatic resources 
  • Individual – for projects with greater anticipated impacts

Clean Water Act (CWA) Section 401

  • Section 401 Water Quality Certifications (NC Department of Water Quality)

State Riparian Buffer Authorization | NC Department of Water Quality

There are state buffer protection programs in place for:

  • Neuse River Basin
  • Tar-Pamlico River Basin
  • Catawba River Basin
  • Jordan Lake Watershed
  • Randleman Lake Watershed
  • Goose Creek Watershed
Perquimans bridge
Perquimans bridge
Bridge construction on the Perquimans River in Hertford
Bridge construction on the Perquimans River in Hertford

USCG – Bridge Permit

A bridge permit issued by the United States Coast Guard is required for structures built over navigable waters of the U.S. 

Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)

Permit approval is required for any construction activities that affect navigation, flood control, or public lands along TVA lakes or the Tennessee River (including tributaries).

Coastal Area Management Act (CAMA) Permits | NC Department of Coastal Management

A CAMA permit may be required if your project is located in one of the twenty coastal counties subject to the rules and policies of the Coastal Resources Commission.


Mitigation is a part of any permit – there are several types of mitigation depending on the type of impact:

  • Wetland
  • Stream 
  • Riparian Buffer
  • Nutrient Offsets
coastal area with buildings
Permitting in Coastal Counties